About the Department
- Can you tell me more about the department?
With its emphasis on critical and visual thinking, students enrolled in the Department of Art will demonstrate competency in writing and speaking about visual phenomena and in formal, technical, and conceptual aspects of art/design, appropriate to the degree program chosen, and in conformance with the standards established by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. The department is committed to preparing its students for entry into an arts related profession or a graduate program in the arts and seeks to provide its students with a positive and rewarding educational experience.The Department of Art, an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, enrolls students in one of three four-year degree options:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts with concentrations in: Graphic Design, Painting and Drawing, Photography and Media Art, or 3D
- Bachelor of Science in Art Education
- Bachelor of Arts
Selection of an area of study is based on an individual’s professional objectives; however, each program in the department follows a carefully structured and sequential curriculum. It is the intent of the department to have available facilities and resources appropriate for the level of professional preparation of its degree options.The department also offers a minor in Art History, opportunities for study abroad through CCSA, and an M.B.A. prep Business Minor.
- I'm transferring in with two years worth of art credits. Why can't I start as a Junior?
In many cases, you CAN complete an art degree at UTC in two years as a transfer if you're pursuing the BA degree. And if time to graduate is very important to you, you should definitely consider the BA.
In the case of the BFA studio concentration or the BS in Art Education, however, all students must pass the department's sophomore review, and must have completed coursework with our faculty in advance of the review (our assessment of your in-class performance is an essential component of the review process). By definition, this means that students transferring into the BFA or the BS must come into the program at the sophomore level, and will complete three years at UTC.
In recent years, due to the department's growing reputation, ALL of our junior-level courses and studios are enrolled to capacity each year through the sophomore-review process. Courses for the fall term are normally closed my mid-April – long before transfer orientation and advisement.
- I just changed my major to BFA Studio Art and now I have to start over as a Freshman in the Art Department. Why?
The Art department has a very sequential program that requires you to begin in the Fall of your first year in order to complete your degree in four years. This course sequence begins with Art 1010 and Art 1050; pre-requisites for all of the coursework that follows – regardless of your BFA degree concentration. From there, students sequence through foundation and concentration requirements according to a clearly articulated four year programmatic plan.
- Freshman Admissions
Students entering UTC who intend to pursue the B.S. in Art Education or the B.F.A. in a studio concentration must enroll as Pre-Majors in Art. To be considered for admission into the B.S. or B.F.A. program, students must have a 2.5 GPA for all art courses completed at UTC as determined at the close of the fall semester prior to review, and must enroll in ART 2900, Sophomore Review. It should not be assumed that a high grade point average in the major itself assures a satisfactory grade for ART 2900.
- Transfer Admissions
Transfer students who intend to pursue the B.S. in Art Education or the B.F.A. in a studio concentration must enroll as Pre-Majors in Art. In order to be admitted into the B.S. or the B.F.A., students transferring from another institution must take or have equivalent credit for ART 1010, ART 1020, ART 1050 and ART 1060, and must complete ART 2900r at UTC. Except by special permission of the Department Head, transfer credits will not be accepted for the following courses (students must enroll in the following courses at UTC as pre- and co-requisites for the Sophomore Review):
- for admission into the B.S. Art Education: 3 hours from ART 2050, ART 2070 or ART 2330 and 3 hours from ART 2530 or ART 2440
- for admission into the B.F.A. Graphic Design: ART 2600 and ART 2710
- for admission into the B.F.A. Painting and Drawing: ART 2070 and ART 2080
- for admission into the B.F.A. Photography and Media Art: ART 2810 and ART 2820
- for admission into the B.F.A. 3D: ART 2330 and ART 2440
- What is the Sophomore Review?
ART 2900, Sophomore Review, is required of all B.S. and B.F.A. candidates and takes place in the spring semester of the sophomore year of a student’s matriculation within the program. The review is a formal assessment of the student’s studio performance and oral competency as it pertains to the student’s designated degree and concentration. It is intended to provide students with an assessment of their potential for success in the intended area of study early enough to allow them to make a program change should that be advisable. In addition to the portfolio review, the student’s overall academic record will be evaluated for quality and seriousness of purpose. A history of excessive absences, significant lack of participation, withdrawals, or incompletes may result in denial of progression. Students will receive a Satisfactory or No Credit grade for ART 2900 at the determination of the Sophomore Review Committee.
- And if I don't pass the review?
Students who do not satisfactorily complete the review will be unable to enroll in upper division course work (3000 and 4000 level) in the department except by special permission of the Department Head. Students will have only one opportunity to reapply for admission into the B.S. or the B.F.A. in a chosen concentration by retaking ART 2900.
Students may retake ART 2900 in consultation with their academic adviser. Students may choose to apply for admission into a different degree program, or re-apply for admission into the same program. Alternately, students may choose to matriculate through the departments BA degree in Art, which holds no requirement for the Sophomore Review.
- Pre-requisites and Co-requisites for ART 2900
Prerequisites for enrollment in ART 2900r, Sophomore Review, are ART 1010, ART 1020, ART 1050 and ART 1060 and:
- for admission into the B.S. Art Education: 3 hours from ART 2050, ART 2070 or ART 2330
- for admission into the B.F.A. Graphic Design: ART 2600
- for admission into the B.F.A. Photography and Media Art: ART 2810
- for admission into the B.F.A. Painting and Drawing: ART 2070
- for admission into the B.F.A. 3D: ART 2440
Corequisites for enrollment in ART 2900r, Sophomore Review, are:
- for admission into the B.S. Art Education: 3 hours from ART 2530 or ART 2440
- for admission into the B.F.A. Graphic Design: ART 2710
- for admission into the B.F.A. Painting and Drawing: ART 2080
- for admission into the B.F.A. Photography and Media Art: ART 2820
- for admission into the B.F.A. 3D: ART 3440