BA Art History4 Year Check Sheet
The BA in Art History is designed to develop in our students the ability to analyze works of art perceptively, to develop an understanding of the common elements and vocabulary of art, and to understand how art reflects both historical and contemporary cultures within the context of appropriate critical discourse.
The BA in Art History is supported by a comprehensive art history curriculum, which equips students to speak confidently about major artistic movements and conduct advanced research into areas of personal interest. The core courses examine the broad themes of Western Art from prehistory to the present, and prepare students for work in the upper division. At the upper division level, students are exposed to lecture and research on more focused topics—such as modern architecture and painting—and develop an understanding of critical theory. Beyond the BA in Art History, these studies in history inform students’ studio work, and open new avenues for creativity.
- 2140 The History of Western Art from Prehistoric Through Medieval
- 2150 The History of Western Art from the Renaissance to the Present
- 2840 Survey of Time-based Art
- 3100 Critical Theory for the Visual Artist
- 3140 History of Modern Architecture
- 3150 History of Modern Painting and Sculpture
- 3620 Design History
- 4140 Major Trends in American Art
- 4190 Art History Special Topics